1. Gorth DJ, Puckett S, Ercan B, Webster TJ, Rahaman M, Bal BS. Decreased bacteria activity on Si3N4 surfaces compared with PEEK or titanium. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:4829-4840.
2. Webster TJ, Patel AA, Rahaman MN, Sonny Bal B. Anti-bacterial and osteointegration properties of silicon nitride, poly(ether ether ketone), and titanium implants [published online ahead of print July 31, 2012]. Acta Biomater.
3. M. Anderson, J. Bernero, and D. Brodke, Medical Imaging Characteristics of Silicon Nitride Ceramic A New Material for Spinal Arthroplasty Implants; p. 547 8th Annu. Spine Arthroplast. Soc. Glob. Symp. Motion Preserv. Technol. Miami, FL, 2008.
4. Pezzotti, G. et.al. In Situ Spectroscopic Screening of Osteosarcoma Living Cells on Stoichiometry-Modulated Silicon Nitride Bioceramic Surfaces. ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng., 2  1121–1134 (2016).
5. Pezzotti G,et.al. Human Osteoblasts Grow Transitional Si/N Apatite in Quickly Osteointegrated Si3N4 Cervical Insert, Acta Biomater., 64, 411-420, (2017).
**Results are based on animal and invitro studies.
Our silicon nitride material features a unique nanosurface texture that inspires and promotes bone growth1, making it an ideal biomaterial. This innovative material offers more advantages than titanium or PEEK.
1. G. Pezzotti et.al. Bioactive Silicon Nitride: A New Therapeutic Material for Osteoarthropathy, Sci. Rep., 7 44848 (2017).Learn More
|Increased bone formation|
|Increased protein adsorption**|
*Artifact produced by tantalum markers.**Results are based on invitro and animal studies.
Amedica has published many studies supporting the benefits of silicon nitride material.
Amedica’s 30,000 sq. ft. ISO 13485 certified manufacturing plant in Salt Lake City, UT is the only medical device production facility in the world that produces CE marked and FDA cleared silicon nitride implants. The operation is vertically integrated from powder processing through to finished product and rigorous quality control. It has the flexibility to produce intricately shaped prototype and production components ranging in size from small dental implants to large articular femoral heads.